Thursday, March 23, 2006

Advertising is the key to making money

Today, I am going to tell you what I have learned about advertising in order to be successful regardless of the business that you own. If you missed my post yesterday talking about how to choose the right business then you can read it here ( http://jackieoquinn.blogspot.com/2006/03/simple-secrets-to-success.html#links ).
When I failed at my previous six attempts at starting my own business it was most often due to the fact that I could not figure out how to advertise in a cost effective manner. I was always spending far more money to get a new client than I was earning from the client. Finally I learned how to do this cost effectively. Previously, I always had an issue in which my support network in the new business was either non existent or weak.

However, I also had an ego problem and didn't listen to advice that was given to me even though the person giving the advice was successful and I was not. My excuse for not listening was often because I felt like the person who was giving me the advice did not have a high enough level of success to be credible. I say this only because many home based businesses already have a support network in place. Often times if that support system has had any success at all they can tell you how to advertise your chosen business cost effectively. Be sure to seek their help aggressively. Most of us don't seek our support aggressively enough for various reasons. Sometimes, we actually think it is their place to track us down to make us successful. Talk about having a lack of responsibility? Yep, I have been there.

When I started my Coastal Business my Director told me how to advertise and who to advertise with, I did not listen at first. Not listening had been a pattern for me. I knew I could earn big profits but I thought it made more sense to find a cheaper way of advertising until I made that "first" profit. After spending hundreds of dollars and emptying my bank account with no results, I went back to my Director and asked her, "Why could I not succeed?"

Once again she told me how to advertise. I literally scraped up money that I had been saving in a large glass jar for four years. It was all in change, I rolled that change and counted it. It came up to $600.00, I used that money to start my advertising campaign like my Director had instructed me to with Cutting Edge Media ( http://www.coastalleads1.com/ ).

I have never looked back. Thankfully with Coastal Vacations, we can spend about $100 to $300 in leads for every $1,000 we profit. At least that is what I found out when I started following directions. If you are in a business that does not pay profits that are as high as Coastal's that is O.K. Some smaller home based businesses teach their entrepreneurs to hand out flyers, talk to family and friends, conduct home presentations, etc. I understand that can be difficult to do especially if you are like me and you told your entire group of friends and family about each of your six business ventures. Most either failed at least once with you but, all of them saw you fail each and every time. However, this form of advertising is very inexpensive and still allows you to earn a profit with your business. If you don't have the luxury of earning those large profits, it can be a great way to get your business off of the ground.

The moral of the story is to pay attention to your support network. If you don't have one, find people who are making money and ask them how they advertise. It doesn't matter how much money they are or are not making. If they are earning more money than you are, then you need to at least reach their level of success before trying to venture out on your own. Don't make the same mistake I did!

Your support network has a lot to do with how you learn to advertise successfully. After all most of us can follow explicit instructions if we so choose to. If you have a weak support network in your current business or want to increase your support network beyond what you already have. I am going to show you how I have learned to work with a multi-millionaire in the home based business industry and you can too. By growing my support network and working with this one expert; I have grown my business from earning over $6,000 a month to well over $25,000 a month. I will tell you how to do this in my next post...

No comments: