Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The grass may be greener but...

Something I have been thinking about for awhile so I have decided to share this with you. I was actually having a discussion with a friend of mine recently and he said that I should write a blog post on this. So I am taking his advice.



This is about distractions and the way people allow themselves to get distracted. It comes down to a loss of focus and what I believe is misplacing their focus. This most often occurs either after someone has had a period of success or when they get frustrated because success has not come to them as fast as they wanted with their current home business.

So here's what happens people start looking around at other business and it's like the 80/20 rule. They say, "My business is to inexpensive for people to get started so there is no commitment and they don't seem to ever go to work."

Or they say...

"It's too expensive to get started in my business, if it was cheaper then I could get more people started"

So they spend time looking at the 20% they don't have and never realize the 80% they do have. Someone told me once, "The grass may be greener on the other side but, you still have to mow it". When I was first looking at the home based business industry I use to get all excited by each new oppurtunity that came my way. I would look at a new product or company or compensation plan and I would start dreaming of the big paychecks coming in. However, shortly after that reality set in and the truth is I had to go to work to make anything happen. So when I started working I would often look at that particular business I was wanting to build and I would think, "Hey, if this was less expensive I could probably sell more and make more money." ( I am using that as an example) and off I would go getting excited about a totally different business. I would totally lose focus. I even see this happen to people after they have had success in business. I will give you an example of my friend I mentioned earlier. This guy was at one time ( and soon will be again ) a superstar with Coastal Travel. However, after a while he got distracted and decided to give a couple other companies his time and resources. He eventually landed with a company that he was hoping to eventually build up a large residual income stream.

With Coastal Travel, we can make alot of money fast. I don't know of any where you can earn this much money this fast. I know of no other company that pays better. However, with our product we don't charge people for using our products each and over month so there is no traditional residual income. This particular friend was saying, "Look there are people in XYZ company earning $1,000,000 a year in residual income with a customer base of over 300,000".



I responded this way, "With Coastal John (not his real name) if you brought in just 3,000 customers with our middle package you would earn $9,000,000. If you put that towards rental properties you would have a much more solid income stream, that would be a much more stable residual, and much more valuable because you could resell the properties in the future".



The bottom line is, do you want it to be a residual income that you control or one that you are dependent on a company to continue to pay you? There are pros and cons to each for certain. John said that was exactly what he had been realizing that's why he had decided to go back and build a Coastal Travel business. "Bottom line, there is nothing that I am aware of that can pay me any better." he said.


However, I have heard similar conversations before. People just forget what they do have and start focusing on what they don't have. It's funny how that happens. I will give you another example. I helped set a young woman up in her Coastal business once... and her reason for getting started was because she worked with a different company marketing a very low ticket item and she would sale about 5 of these items each month and she told me. If I just sold 5 of your bottom packages in a month, I would earn $5,000 and if I sale just one of your top packages I will earn over $9,000. She was correct the probably was she assumed she could sale just as many of our products which are at a much higher price point than she had previously been accustomed to. She got frustrated when she didn't make money as fast as she initially had expected. Truthfully she would have been better off to stick with the company she had her previous success with and just go to work!

Instead, she thought she saw a way to make more money with Coastal. She could have made more money probably but it would required a new skill set that she had not learned yet. She left a company that she had learned how to make money with only to end up getting frustrated when those same skills didn't allow her to make money with a new company.

This post is really just a cautionary tale. Remember: The grass may be greener on the other side but you still have to mow it!

No comments: