Thursday, June 01, 2006

Currently Uninsured

What a bunch of BS. When moving I contacted Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina which I had some fantastic health coverage with. Basically I had an 80/20 plan with a $250 deductible, my premium was only $120 a month. Prior to moving to Michigan, I contacted BCBS of NC and they were suppose to send some paperwork to BCBS of MI for a transfer of healthplan. The purpose is that I would maintain health coverage, although at a higher rate in Michigan, without interruption during my move.

A couple of months of moving to Michigan I still had not heard from BCBS of MI so I called them and they had yet to receive the paper work from North Carolina. When I called North Carolina they said to give BCBS of MI a little more time. The next thing I know is I get a letter from BCBS of NC stating that my health coverage has ended. I call both entities back and this is the story, BCBS of NC sent the paperwork and has no idea why BCBS of MI does not have it. BCBS of MI confirms they have no paper work on me but proceeds to tell me that they would have gave me their worst medical plan anyway since it was from a transfer and I would be better off to just reapply. Well that is lovely, they could have told me that a couple of months ago so I would have been uninsured at this time.

Everything happens for a reason and my brother Stacy has been learning about and seeking a Health Savings Account since he has left the Air Force. Now, I am looking for a good Health Savings Account as well. Health Savings accounts are amazing. To sum it up, with a HSA you can save money on premiums by paying a lower premium and by spending less money on health coverage. Also you can set money aside just like in an IRA that is 100% tax deductible and grows with interest tax free as well. You are able to use this tax free money to cover any medical expense that would not go toward your deductible such as vitamins, alternative medicine, and soon this may even include gym memberships. Stay tuned as I will discuss this further in later posts.

No comments: