Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Thanks to the Greatest Man I Knew

Thanks to my Dad. The man who helped Mom get me started in my life. I hope he is proud of who I am today. Daddy was a strict disciplinarian. He nor Mom tolerated much nonsense from us growing up. Politeness was expected at all times. Yes Sir, No Sir, Please, and Thank You were words deeply ingrained in our vocabulary. I have fond memories of my Dad. He taught me a great appreciation for nature; he himself was an avid fisherman. I remember one time when my brother was sick and had a temperature at school, Daddy had to go and pick him up. Daddy asked him what would make him feel better. He said he wanted to go fishing. Daddy quickly responded OK; and off they went. Mama was not too happy about Dad taking my brother fishing when he had a fever. When he got him the fever was gone and Daddy's defense was "It made him better".

Daddy was a playful guy he use to come home from work and if my brother and I were outside playing he would come over to us and start playing right along with us for a bit. Of course then he had to make sure he gave Mom some attention. Daddy was a hard worker and he worked long hours to provide for us. Usually he had to leave at night for a couple of hours to make sure he locked up at work. He was a dispatcher at a lumber yard and he had to go back out at night and make sure all the gates were locked after the drivers got in and he had to let the guard dog out.

The night Daddy passed away it was completely unexpected. He literally went to sleep and basically did not wake up. To this day the autopsy is inconclusive, when I became a nurse I read a copy of the autopsy that my Grandma had. I am not sure what I thought I was going to find it was just one of those things that I had to do. Daddy's death as well as my current profession as an Oncology (Cancer) Nurse has taught me; we are never ever promised tomorrow. Make sure you seize the day because you may not be around tomorrow. I wish my Dad was here so I could thank him personally for giving me my start in life. For the little things he did that meant so much. I miss him and I can only hope he is proud of who I am.


Be notified when I update my blog.

No comments: