Saturday, February 05, 2005

Thanks Carmen

Carmen is my girlfriend and the love of my life. She has been amazing. I never intended to meet anyone quite like her. We met when I was in nursing school. In nursing school I would spend a couple of hours each day typing up my notes so they would be more legible and easier to study. I usually did this in the computer lab at school. Sometimes I would take breaks by chatting in chat rooms or on yahoo messenger; it was during this time that I met Carmen. She was simply one of those many people I had met when chatting on yahoo. I would chat with her on rare occasions and usually on superficial topics. We chatted on things such as how is life, how is school, and what are you doing tonight. It was never anything more than platonic. Let's face it, who in their right mind would go and seek a relationship online.

Several months went by and I had bought a cell phone through Sprint. I had nationwide long distance and thought it was so amazing that I could call the whole world and I wasn't charged. Ok, so I could only call people in the US but, it seemed like the whole world to me. The worst part was that I didn't really know anyone outside of my state that I wanted to talk to. So I just gave my phone number out freely to my "chat" friends. Carmen was one of these friends but no one including Carmen ever really called me. Until one day about 6 months later in the fall of the year I was headed home from getting my assignment at the hospital. By this time I had transferred over to Wilson for school. I picked up my phone when it started ringing. I was driving home and I heard someone on the other end introduce themselves as Carmen. It took me awhile to figure out who it was.

Carmen told me that she was home with her parents studying for exams and was extremely bored when she accidentally came across my number that she had scribbled down several months ago when I gave it to her. After that night we would occasionally speak over the phone but not very much, as time went by we began to speak more and more. By January of that year we were speaking every night on the phone as much as 7 or 8 hours per night. Although most conversations averaged about 2 hours. In May I graduated nursing school. By October of that year I went to meet her she lived about 13 hours away in Michigan. We became a couple on November 1st. That was over two years ago and I still speak to her every night and I see her usually for a week at a time; about 8 months out of the year.

Carmen has inspired me and motivated me to reach for greater personal heights in my own life. Carmen is very goal oriented and that helps to keep me focused and motivated as well. Carmen has supported me in almost every entrepreneurial venture that I have had. She has always helped me to reach higher stages of personal growth and accomplishments. She usually does this by listening to my needs and interjecting her opinions, thoughts, and ideas. Carmen herself is a very motivated entrepreneur and she is well on her way to success. It is very possible that she will reach her entrepreneurial goals before I do.

I find comfort just by being around her. My thoughts are usually consumed by her. Even my entrepreneurial thoughts are centered on creating a life for the both of us. She has a very big heart and is a very caring person. I find this to be attractive but I do worry that others are quick to take advantage of her kindness which I don't think that would be too hard to do. I am not sure exactly what the future holds for myself but I am confident with Carmen in my corner I will be OK. I look forward to seeing her grow as a person and an entrepreneur. I feel fortunate to be able to witness her life and to share in it with her.

Carmen, thanks for supporting me, when others have not. Thanks for encouraging me when I did not feel like moving forward. Thanks for letting me know you loved me even when I did not think many people did. Thanks for celebrating my accomplishments with me no matter how small they were. Thank You.


Be notified when I update this blog

1 comment:

Carmen said...

Wow I haven't read this in years! I love you Jackie, just as much now as I did then!!