Monday, February 07, 2005

Many More Thanks...

There are so many other people I could thank in my life. My 4th grade teacher at Brogden Primary Mrs. Doris Smith. Mrs. Smith was my teacher during the time that my Daddy passed away. She was awesome, she had the class make cards for us. She came by to visit why we were out of school. She helped us get caught up on our work when returned to school. She just went that extra mile that teachers don't have to go.

My Royal Ranger's Commanders (Royal Rangers is a boy's youth group in the church similar to Boy Scouts but concentrates more on the doctrine of the church) who came by very shortly after my Daddy passed away. These guys were Rex Hood and Dallas Waters. I will never forget how they took us outside in our Nannie's driveway and just sat there and talked; it was very comforting. I remember Commander Waters said we had to make a pact that we couldn't tell anyone about because it was a secret but he said that we now had something in common. He told us of someone that was close to him when he was younger that had passed away (I don't remember who it was) Commander Rex also did the same. Although I don't see these guys often they are never forgotten. Commander Rex (they will always be my Commanders) is a real estate agent now and I see his picture in the paper and on local real estate advertisements; I pray that he has much success.

My Nannie and Papa, for allowing us to move in with them the year after Daddy passed. They both were like a second set of parent to my brother and I. We spent a lot of time around them growing up. We had our first itch of financial independence sparked in us most likely by overhearing many of their conversations about money. More about this in another post.

Dorothy Boyette, my Sunday School teacher since I was 15. Her spiritual guidance, teachings, and encouragement will never be forgotten. Mrs. Dorothy taught me prayer works as we prayed for many things in her class and always saw them come to pass. Mr. Lee Kerney, also belongs in this group as he started helping Mrs. Dorothy when we were about 17. Mr. Kerney does most of the teaching now. He taught me that it is OK for a man to express his feelings.

Donnie's family, they quickly accepted us as part of their very own family. We have never felt as if we didn't belong. They are special people and I will always love them. I have to thank a specific couple from that family; Jennifer and Jesse. This is Donnie's Sister and Brother-in-Law. During some of my most stressful times in nursing school they would invite me out for lunch after church. They would usually listen and allow me to vent my stress on them. I truly appreciate the time I spent with them and I will always love them for that.

Maureen Loomer, who was in Anatomy with me. She has one of the most brilliant minds I have ever met. Maureen encouraged me to stick up for myself when I was wrongly accused of cheating on a Anatomy lab practical. Thanks for believing in me Maureen and encouraging me.

Melissa Smith, she was Melissa Taylor when I first met her in nursing school. Melissa believed in me and genuinely cared about me as a person. She was a friend in a time when I did not feel as if I had many friends. She is a beautiful person inside and out. Melissa is "the one that got away". She was single for a brief period in nursing school; I wanted to date her in the worst way. She never knew that and eventually started dating Shane Smith, who seems like a great guy. Melissa and Shane went on and got married and now have started a beautiful family. Melissa ended up becoming an awesome nurse, so I am told. I think that is great she deserves everything good in her life. Now I know life has a funny way of working itself out. I am glad I never started dating Melissa; if I had been with her I may have never met Carmen. I could not imagine life today without Carmen. I wish Melissa the best with her life.

The Palumbos, for allowing me to move in with them even though I was a complete stranger (rent free). For allowing me to stay there even when I failed out of school. Ms. Jean for helping me study and prepare for clinicals even when she had to go to work and had not slept much. Thanks guys for your tremendous sacrifice.

Gary, who has become one of my best friends. We become friends while I was in the computer lab typing notes from nursing class. Gary was the monitor in the lab. Gary is a great guy and incredibly smart. Unfortunately even today he fells to apply himself to even a little of his potential.

Vicky Brikic, a friend that I met when I transferred to Wilson for nursing school. Vicky and her mom were very encouraging to me. Vicky encouraged me to face opposition and move past it. She encouraged me to do better in school; she helped me to set high standards for myself. I always competed with her to see who could get the highest grades. Vicky beat me almost everytime but I was usually in second place when it came to the whole class. Vicky rushed to my aid when she discovered that I was being discriminated against by another instructor. I never knew this was going on and I didn't know Vicky had rushed to my defense till sometime later. Vicky went on to become our class Valevictorian. She is currently an ER nurse and will soon become a Nurse Practicioner. Way to go Vicky!!

To my nursing instructors at Wilson who believed in me. Especially Ms. Robbinette for giving me a chance to get in the program and giving me another chance to succeed. Also, Mr. Bynum who taught me Microbiology. One particular day I was unusually discouraged and I went to him and shared my feelings with him. I will never forget his response, "Jackie, I only make bets that I am sure of and I am willing to bet that next Spring by graduation many people in this program will fail out, but you will be there and you will walk across that stage". I remember after graduation I went to him and reminded him of that day and he simply responded, "I only make sure bets".

Two other nursing instructors in particular Mrs. Godwin and Ms. Clark (Ms. Clark was pretty hot by the way) both of these ladies believed in me and when I was reported by an unnamed instructor for being incompetent they both were objective and waited to see all of the evidence before judging me. They both believed in me afterwards and became very encouraging. I can remember one conversation in particular where Ms. Clark could tell that I was not confident in my nursing judgment she pulled me to the side and said, "Jackie, believe in yourself. You are smart, you know what you are doing. I believe you but you have to believe you. You have to believe in yourself and be confident in what you are doing".

Thanks to Debbie Allen my current nurse manager. Debbie was also my nurse manager when I was in school. She support my efforts to become a nurse, she always worked around my schedule and was very flexible. Debbie, has always been very fair and although I don't agree with all of her decisions; for the most part Debbie could be the manager in which all others are judged by.

Also I can't forget my charge nurses who have been my mentors and have been very patient as I have began to mature as a nurse. Thanks Polly, Roger, Linda, Laura, and Dorothy. They are all awesome.

No comments: