Sunday, May 15, 2011

The College Conspiracy

I have a friend of mine who knows that I own my own marketing company and that I work from home. He recently sent me a link via Facebook. It was very interesting to say the least. The title of the video is "The College Conspiracy". You can look it up on Youtube, but what a fascinating watch. There are plenty of points to disagree with on the video but the main point was that college degrees are too expensive to get these days and are not nearly as valuable as they once were.

The video did a good job of explaining really my opinions on this topic. I have long told my wife I would never encourage our children to get a college degree unless they decided to go into a career field that absolutely required it. I would love for my kids to go into business. It could be one of my business ventures or one of their own. My focus would be to find out the kind of life they would want for themselves and their families and then finding a career path that could lead them to that kind of lifestyle.

I understand that not everyone wants to own a business, and my kids may not want to own a business either. That will be fine with me as long as they are choosing a career field that will allow them to live the type of lifestyle they will want to have for themselves. Before I started working from home, I was a Registered Nurse. No one asked me in Nursing school, "Do you know the kind of life most nurses live? Is that the life you want to live for yourself?"

If I had been asked that, I have no idea what I would have said. I had never really contemplated it. In some ways starting an online business, happened almost by accident for me. However, today I live a lifestyle above what would be possible on a Nursing salary. For example, I am debt free today. Yet I have several causes that I am passionate about and like to donate money to. I like to travel and vacation and have been able to travel to places all over the world. I travel often, at least about 6 weeks out of the year. I enjoy fine dining and taking my bride to resteraunts like Ruth's Chris. This is just a couple of examples. Sure I know of nurses that travel alot, but not up to 6 weeks a year for pleasure. I know nurses who eat at nice resteraunts but they aren't debt free. Personally, I dont' know of anyone who is a nurse and has the ability to create a lifestyle for themself that I have been able to create from my online business.

More importantly I don't know of any nurse whose job will allow them to do work once but get paid on it over and over again through passive income streams or royalty incomes. However, since starting an online business that is exactly what I have been able to create. To top it all off it costs me less in time and money to start and profit from than most people spend getting a four year degree!

Thanks for reading my rants,

Jackie O'Quinn
International Coastal Director
(since 2004)
1-888-309-5759

P.S. If you want to training to start an online business, you can apply here >> www.flexiblebiz.com/goland1/college

No comments: